Friday, 4 September 2026

Creative Artiste #130 September 2026

Back to school and back to rainy weather. Ugh!!!
On the plus side that leaves plenty of time for crafting now. Yay!!!

So ....

 ....Welcome to a new challenge at

Creative Artiste is a monthly challenge blog for everyone who likes to mix their media. So, as long as you like to use various mediums on your creations, we'd love to see you enter the challenge.
A big Thank You to everyone who entered the challenge last month. Your projects were all wonderful and our winners have been announced on the blog.
Our theme is always
"Anything Mixed Media Goes"
We have opportunities to be a Guest Designer for all our winners.

Back at the beginning of July I attended a weekend craft workshop with 3 fabulous tutors. There were four classes and it was pretty intense. A heatwave at the time didn't help either, but, I actually ended up creating one of my all time favourite projects. 

The project is a wooden board and measures just under 12"x 8" (30 x 20 cms). The class was taught by Anna Dabrowska aka Finnabair and was the last class on the Sunday afternoon.

When I first saw the project created by Finnabair, I thought it was just a large piece of rice paper stuck on the board with some embellishments added. Easy! But it wasn't at all. In fact there are only five little strips of rice paper that I added to the project. The background is all paints, inks and textures around a printed image that I transferred.


The main lesson in the class was how to transfer a printed image onto a chosen substrate. There were several images we could choose from and I fell in love with this one, such a beautiful young woman. I actually messed up the transfer and was so upset I wanted to give up there and then, I was hot, tired and frustrated. Anna encouraged me to carry on and gave me a few helpful tips.


Part of the process was to create depth with background stamps, texture through a stencil and with scraps of paper.


Always great fun in Anna's classes is creating interest with embellishments and learning how to layer and balance the groups.


The final step was to use paints on both the embellishments and background to tie everything together.
To finish I darkened the edges of the board with black ink.

This project went from being a near reject to a treasured piece of art hanging in pride of place next to me. I will forever be grateful to Anna for encouraging me to carry on.
And, because I very nearly gave up on finishing this project, but ended up loving it, I have named it "Perseverance".

Now it's your turn to have fun and create your mixed media projects. You can enter the challenge as many times as you like. A full list of the rules is on the challenge blog. For more inspiration please visit the Creative Artiste Challenge Blog to see the fabulous mixed media projects created by our multi talented team.
Remember to have fun crafting and enter your "Anything Mixed Media Goes" creations in our 
September challenge. 

I have entered this project in the following challenges:

12 comments:

  1. Gorgeous project with lots of lovely details to look at and enjoy. The most rewarding projects usually are the ones that were a battle to complete and finally pull together, usually its only something simple that takes it from the bin to the wall but its finding that little thing thats the mission

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the eye moves around and sees differences in every pass! The colors are magical and the texture is felt! Beautifully done! Thanks for sharing with us at The Outlawz Anything but a Card. Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perseverance is a very rewarding thing, I knew as soon as I saw this that it was a Finnabair influenced piece. What a beautiful day you must have had Andree your canvas really is a unique piece of encouragement for us all. Take care Hugs Tracey x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Andree how lucky you are to be able to have a workshop with the MM Mistress - Anna. So glad you were able to complete this brilliant piece of art. I just love her style - always intense detailed and stunning and yours is just that too. Oh to see it and feel it IRL. A photo doesn't do justice to this brilliant art work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous piece Andree - I love how you put all your background elements together with the cogs and the flowers. Was the weekend workshop on line or in the flesh? I'd love to be able to attend a MM workshop here in Carmarthen - maybe we should set one up x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a lovely detailed piece, so much detail and clever effects. So glad you persevered and th+ank you for entering Outlawz ABAC https://tolanythingbutacard.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andree, what a lovely story this was. Anna sounds like a wonderful teacher, and you must feel really happy about not only taking a workshop from her but also ending up creating this amazingly beautiful piece of art with her encouragement! (I'm really jealous right now.) I'm sure every time you see this project, you're filled with the zeal to see your current project through also. Hope you're having a lovely September. (I just got a weekend break from work, less than a month of busy-ness remains.) -Anita xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anita - Beautiful mixed media piece of art. Love the design and colour choices. Hope you have a creative week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful mixed media piece of art. Stunning work. Hope you have a creative week. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow great details and colouring, very nicely done.Thanks for playing with us at Love To Craft Challenge this month. Have a great day. Leanne DT/LTCC

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! So many cool little details to look at! What an amazing project! Thanks for joining us at The Mix It Up Challenge Blog!

    ReplyDelete

I don't usually reply to comments, however, I will answer any questions. So, thank you for taking the time to leave a message x