Easter Bliss

Sunday 23 July 2017

Oxide Dragonflies

Sorry I haven't been around much over the past couple of weeks. I've been busy with demos, classes, commissions and DT work. I did however find time to finally have a play with the Distress Oxides I purchased from Artist Trading Post. These are the results of my first playtime.

Both of these projects are mixed media card fixed to an 8"x 8" (20 cm x 20 cm) canvas board. The Distress Oxide backgrounds were created by dipping and lifting the mixed media card in puddles of Oxide ink and water on my craft mat. I dipped each colour separately and dried in between.

I used Worn Lipstick, Broken China, Vintage Photo and Cracked Pistachio to colour this background, die-cut doily and cheesecloth.

The dragonfly was die-cut using the Tim Holtz Sizzix die in pearlescent card. It was dipped in Cracked Pistachio, Worn Lipstick and Vintage Photo Oxide inks.  There is a beautiful sheen to it in real life. 

Once the ink layers were dry I stamped some text, added texture paste through a Prima stencil and some bamboo sticks. The added textures were coloured using Oxides mixed with water and painted on like a watercolour. I then added some white micro beads.

For this background and dragonfly I used Vintage Photo, Spiced Marmalade and Cracked Pistachio DOs.

This dragonfly was die cut from plain white card and dipped in watered Oxides. Prima Artstones and cheese cloth were coloured with the Oxides as a watercolour.

The panels were finished with glass pebbles from my stash.

Both canvas boards were painted with dark brown acrylic and then a layer of DecoArt's Weathered Wood. Once dry I added the top coat of acrylic paint and watched them crackle. The card panels were then glued onto the canvases with soft matt gel.
I love the way the Oxides react with each other and on different surfaces. The soft, chalky look on plain card is my favourite. It's so tactile. Have you got any Oxides? What do you think of them? I still have a couple of colours I haven't tried yet, I'll have to make time for another play....

16 comments:

  1. Hi Andree, both are so beautiful. I love the color combos. The dragonflies are fabulous and the crackled frame really sets it all off. Hugs, Pam xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW Andree these are stunning! I have been playing with my oxides this afternoon too! Gorgeous textures and loving the dragonflies.
    Hugs
    Linda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andree you have been very busy. Your cards are stunning. I do love the new Distress Oxides. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG Andree, Your playing with your oxides has produced two gorgeous canvases. I simply adore the first one mainly because of all the added embellishment and fab mixture of colour. Hugs Jennifer xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning Andrea. I love your eye for colour and the colour palettes that feature in your work. Such a complete delight!
    Laine
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning project Andrée- every time I look, something different catches my eye. Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing work Andree - so much to take in and admire,
    love them both.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, what a cool technique, so gorgeous Andree

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are beautiful. I always love to see and read about your mixed media work, Andree. Thank you for sharing your talents with us all

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful projects, gorgeous colours and textures.

    Sylv xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning mixed media creation Andree - I love it! Distress Oxides are on my wish list at the top but I'm still saving up ;) Shabneez x

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is stunning and love the textures

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fab project Andree, I love my Distress Oxides too x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a gorgeous project and I love your layered DOX colors! The dragonfly looks perfectly at home here in this gorgeous mixed media panel. What a treat! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete

I don't usually reply to comments, however, I will answer any questions. So, thank you for taking the time to leave a message x